Jacee Chalise

Saturday, November 1, 2008

The longest week of our Lifes!

Well, in my last post I mentioned that my daughter Caitlin was getting an MRI done since she wasn't walking. Well instead of Monday that changed her appointment to Thursday, so at 5:30 am we went up to the hospital. Caitlin did really well throughout the whole thing, they said that they had to give her a little bit more sleepy medicine since she was singing. After that we went back home to get Jake to bed and wait for the results from Dr. Armstrong. I didn't want to stress myself out, so I just kept telling myself that there wasn't something major wrong. At about 10:15 Dr. Armstrong called me, and says I have some bad news, and my heart fell. The MRI showed that Caitlin had a brain tumor and it was causing pressure on the brain. He said he would call Primary Children's and get us an appointment as soon as possible. Not a half hour later someone from Primary Children's called and told us to pack for about a week and get down there as soon as possible. I think we were ready to leave in 15 minutes. I drove as fast as I could, I wasn't worried about a speeding ticket. Both my parents and Jake's weren't very far behind us. When we got there we were soon took in, Dr. Brockmeyer decided that we should take care of this as soon as possible, so we were taken to the Pediatric ICU, to prep her for surgery. Caitlin was not happy about any of it. I don't blame her. Before she left for surgery Jake's Dad and my dad gave Caitlin a priesthood blessing. At 6:00 they took her to surgery, Jake and I walked down with her, it was so hard to hand her over to the nurses, but we need that they were going to take good care of her. After we walked out the ER doors, Jake and I hugged and broke down crying. We were not prepared for this, but what parent is. At about 11pm surgery was done, everything went really well, and they were able to remove all the of tumor and put in a EVD( a tube that helps drain the extra fluid on the brain). We were all able to see her at about 1 in the morning in the PICU. I was worried about what she would look like, but she looked pretty good I thought for what she just went through. On Monday she was well enough that they moved her to the neuroscience trauma unit, which was nice since in the PICU only two people can be by the bedside at a time. My mom, Jake's mom and I took turns spending the night at hospital with Caitlin. On Tuesday we unfortunately got another drop in the bucket, the test on the tumor came back as a medulloblastoma tumor which is a Grade 4 type of cancer. So even though they were able to removed all of the tumor, we will still after to go through chemotherapy. On Wednesday they removed the EVD, which was nice. We were suppose to then come home on Friday but we noticed leaking of spinal fluid from the EVD site, so they had us get her a CT scan and added two more stitches, and we had to stay for another 24 hours, which kind of suck. But this morning we were able to come home which was nice and nerve wrecking all in one. Since I am now that one responsible for making sure everything is alright. Sorry this is so long but since I have been at Primary Childrens for eight days I have been unable to update my blog. Please keep our little angel in your prayers. We still have a long road ahead of us. Also more info to come since I am sure I have forgotten a lot.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to bring her home. what a long week, I know the feeling.... I hope everything goes well at home, and if you guys need anything let us know!!!

Bear River Photographic Society said...

Jake and Erin it is little scarey knowing that your are the one taking care of her right now that there are no nurses right there, i know the feeling to. Hang in there and hang on to your faith that is what kept me going this summer and still is, I am so glad that you have her home and i will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Erin, I really undersand what you are going through. Paisley had a tumor on her softspot when she was a few months old, and in August she had 2 more tumors removed from her ear canlas. Her walking started to regress and so did speech, that is what got us to check her out. Let me know if you need anything. Laci

Shelley Brown said...

Erin, I am sorry to hear about your scary news. Your little family is in my prayers!

Baird Family said...

Erin and Jake,
Our prayers are with you. Let us know if there is anything you need, a babysitter, dinner, something picked up from the store, anything!! Our Heavenly Father has great trust in you and will be with you. Your children are beautiful. Having your children in the hospital because of problems is scary, but I know (from exprience) that bringing them home can be even scarier, everything will work out. May god bless you and your family.
Adam and Rhonda Baird

Unknown said...

I wanted to tell you Erin that we are all sharing your burden and fears. We are here for you and so is your Heavenly Father. I believe that Caitlin is here to teach us all a lesson and I also believe that she is going to get through this. My sister tells me to Believe! Believe! Believe! and "Faith, faith, faith". This scripture is out of Moroni chapter 7:

33 And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me.

37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that amiracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of bunbelief, and all is vain.

And my friend shared this song:

“Are you struggling with the burdens placed before you? Are you battling the tempest all alone? When the world crowds around me, I fall upon my knees, and in my darkest hour, his promise comes to me. ‘Fear not, you are mine. I am with you. I’ll never leave you. Just believe. Build upon my rock, sons and daughters of God. For I am your shepherd, just believe.”

I have been amazed by your strength Erin. The lord is with you in all this. He wouldn't have given you this trial if He didn't think you could handle it. You and Jake have been blessed with this special little spirit Caitlin for a reason. And angels are watching over her and you. All will be well! We love you!

Matt, Emily & Dylan said...

I have no idea how you must feel, but having a child of my own I can only imagine how horrible it would be. We will continue to pray for you guys! Please let us know if you need ANYTHING!! We would love to help out if you ever need it! Keep your head up and remember our father in heaven is always there and can get us through the toughest of times!

Lisa said...

My prayers are with your family.

Unknown said...

Hey Erin, I wanted to share one more scripture with you. Several years ago my sister was going through a very scary time concerning her husband's health. He had a terrible disease that was threatening his life. She told me that this scripture (and the book of Moroni) really helped her get through this trial. You will find a lot of comfort in the scriptures.

26 And after that he came men also were saved by faith in his name; and by faith, they become the sons of God. And as surely as Christ liveth he spake these words unto our fathers, saying: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you.