Jacee Chalise

Saturday, November 22, 2008

First round of Chemotherapy

Well on Wednesday Caitlin had her first round of chemo, for this first round she had to spend two days in the hospital. The medicines that they use to kill the cancer cells are so strong that they have to push iv fluids through the body, so the medicine does not harm the kidneys and other organs. We did receive the results of the spinal tap (Lumbar puncture) and they were clear, which means that the cancer has not moved to another part of her body, which is totally awesome. We will still have to go through the chemotherapy but it won't be as intense, since the LP was clear and they were able to remove all of her brain tumor. Caitlin did so well with her treatments I was so proud of her. The medicines made her nauseous , but she didn't vomit once. She didn't have much of an appetite. (But that's normal for cancer patients.) She cried the first day every time that nurse would touch her, but by the second day she seemed to understand that they were there to help her not hurt her. Since she now has a central line she didn't have to get poked with a needle at all. The nurses down at Primary Children's are so nice and friendly. The nurses taught me what I need to watch for at home and how to take care of her line and so forth. Nursing is not my chosen career but I will do whatever it takes to take care of my little girl. Since Caitlin handle the chemo so well we were able to come home Friday afternoon, which was nice since it always feels more comfortable at home. But of course we had to bring half the hospital home with us, medicines, gloves, and barf buckets. Thanks for all offers to help but we are coping pretty good right now. Caitlin has another appointment for chemo on Wednesday the 26th, but if everything goes well it should only take a couple of hours, which means we will be able to be home for Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Bear River Photographic Society said...

Jake and Erin

I am so glad that caitlyn is doing so good.

Melanie said...

Prayers are answered if we believe and have faith. I know that you have both. I am so glad to hear that the tests came back with a positive answer. You are so strong and I know that you have a great support system too. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

I so totally believe in miracles Erin. I have no doubt that we have been given several. We are so blessed to have the priesthood and the power of prayer is amazing. Caitlin has sure taught me a lot! Love you guys!