Jacee Chalise

Friday, October 23, 2009

One Year Ago

One year ago today I can truly say was the worst day of our lives. One year ago today Caitlin was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of 18 months old. We had a MRI that morning at 5:30 am and then received a phone call from Dr. Armstrong around 11am, and told that Caitlin had a brain tumor and it was causing fluid to remain on her brain, so within a hour and a half we were packed and in the car driving down to Primary Children's for Caitlin to have surgery that night. Thank goodness, everything went well with her surgery and they were able to release the fluid on her brain as well. The brain tumor was about the size of a walnut. Also soon after we found out that the tumor was a medulloblastoma tumor, which is a type of cancer. So throughout this year Caitlin has undergone chemotherapy treatments and a round of radiation. She has been such a tough and brave girl through all of it. Our family has cried, been upset, and found strength through this hardship. I have learned a lot of cancer terms and treatments, my extended family thinks I should become a nurse, but I am not sure about that. We are thankful for the good Doctors and nurses at Primary Childrens. But I do have one thing to say to other families that may go through the same thing, you as a parent or family member need to be aware of the kinds of medicines that the cancer patients needs and what doses. I know that Doctors and nurses try not to make mistakes but sadly mistakes do happen. A few times I have had to stop the nurses from giving Caitlin the wrong medicine or wrong dose. I have never really been very hard-headed but when my child life is at stake you better watch out. Anyway, off my soapbox, our hearts go out to other families who are going through the same trials. Also a big thank for all our family and friends for all their prayers, support, and love. I do have some good news to report if Caitlin's next scan looks good, we will only have one more cycle of chemotherapy left, so we will hope to be finished with chemo sometime in January.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree that too was THE worst day of my life. One year ago today I couldn't even imagine getting through the year to come, but we did it. WE ALL DID IT! And i know that we were not alone in the process. I have no doubt that our Savior was near and has been with Caitlin and all of us, giving us comfort and strength. We have been truly blessed. And you Erin have amazed me with your strength, fortitude, and knowledge. I think you'd make a great nurse. You have learned so much and have faced such challenges that no mother should have to face. You are also an example to me and I am thankful for you and the great mom you are to our beautiful granddaughters and a wonderful wife to our son. We made it Erin! It's almost over! We have been so truly blessed.

Sharee said...

As for the nurse part I think your a great mom so dont give it up! We love you and we are very proud of you and jake and how you have handled all you have endured. Love you

Unknown said...

Hey Erin! Great pictures. I didn't see the slideshow at first. Those images still bring tears to my eyes and pains to my heart. But to see her now, after one year, it's just amazing and a miracle. And the little sweetheart always has a smile on her face. Imagine if everybody in the world could have an attitude like hers.

Bear River Photographic Society said...

Erin, you have done a great job, taking care of your family and Caitlin I know it can be stressful, for when Richard was sick last year I had to take care of him, be a mom thank goodness my kids are older and I was working full time. to me it was nice to know that we had made it through a year. In knowing that we made it i knew we could make through another year. Just think you will probably be done in Jan. that is awesome.Keep up the faith for that is what kept me going all last year.