Jacee Chalise

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Allie's Turn!

Well I haven't been blogging because there hasn't been a lot to blog about. Caitlin has been doing really well with the at home chemo medicine and her counts are not dropping as fast as they were before. Which is nice, we have not been totally confined to the house, and we haven't had to make any trips down to Primarys.
Now I will explain this post title, I guess Allie has been feeling left out with all the trips Caitlin has had to make to the Hospital, so she wanted a turn, I guess. I'll explain, Allie woke up Monday morning pretty early, and said she was feeling very good. At first I thought that she was just tired because she hasn't been sleeping very good lately. She didn't eat a whole lot and pretty much slept all day. By nighttime I figure I should take her temperature, and it was 102.3. I know that your body temperature rises a little bit at night, and I figure I would give her Motrin and she would sleep off the fever. On Tuesday the fever was still pretty high, so I called the Doctor's office and made an appointment to come in at 11:30. Dr. Armstrong looked her over and couldn't see anything that stood out why she would have a fever, so he sent us home with instructions to give Motrin and Tylenol. At eight pm I checked her temperature again and it was 104.9, not good. I called Jake to leave work, so I could take Allie to the Emergency care center at the Speciality Hospital. There they did a CBC, a urine test, and a flu test. They figure it was a kidney infection, thank goodness. I say thank goodness, because I was fearing it was swine flu, that would just be the worst. Now both my girls are on the same antibiotics, Allie to clear up the infection, and Caitlin to help her bodies blood counts to recover from chemo. Another crappy fact, Allie's white blood cell count was low at just 2.4, and the doctor wasn't sure it was because of the infection or something else, so in a week we have to go and get another CBC done. Hopefully it is nothing big, I think we have had enough excitement with cancer and doctors to last us a lifetime.

2 comments:

Todd and Carol said...

I could just admit the whole family!!

Hope Allie is feeling better soon. Poor girl. I am glad they caught the problem. Give her my love...Carol

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Poor Allie. Kidney infections are so yucky. You should have called me. Just one more thing that you didn't need. How in the world did she get a kidney infection? I hope they will do a lot more follow up on that to make sure her kidney is okay. Please let me know if you need help. I will be there!